If you have ever heard the term “maternal-fetal medicine specialist”, you may have asked yourself “what exactly do those specialists do?” In short, maternal-fetal medicine specialists take care of complicated pregnancies, which can encompass many things.
Their duties may include:
- Regular prenatal care for women with high-risk pregnancies.
- Helping to manage a mother’s existing health issues like diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Caring for women who develop complications during pregnancy or childbirth.
- Providing tests and procedures such as ultrasound to check the baby’s growth and development.
- Checking for birth defects and genetic disorders through tests.
- Diagnosing and managing birth defects, blood disorders, and heart issues in a developing baby.
- Monitoring labor and handling delivery.
- Helping to manage any of the mother’s health problems after pregnancy.
Benefits of an MFM Doctor
Women who are experiencing complicated pregnancies opt for maternal-fetal medicine specialists due to personalized care. MFM specialists will work closely with your regular health providers to ensure a healthy and safe labor and delivery.
At MFM and Carnegie Imaging, our blended team of providers on staff provides expert services to women, regardless of their age or condition. Our practice also regularly publishes clinical research to drive the methodologies we use in our approach to clinical care.
Our ultrasound units are also equipped with state-of-the-art, 3D/4D equipment to ensure the most advanced and accurate services. Overall, our team of specialists strives to provide personalized care to each patient to address your individual pregnancy needs.
Carnegie Imaging for Women blogs are intended for educational purposes only and do not replace certified professional care. Medical conditions vary and change frequently. Please ask your doctor any questions you may have regarding your condition to receive a proper diagnosis or risk analysis. Thank you!